Getting an extension on your F-6 visa

Having your immigration documents in order is a fact of life for someone living in a foreign country. An American (even a Korean-American such as myself) living in Korea is no exception. And while the Korean government’s “Hi, Korea!” is a valuable resource for all things immigration, the information isn’t always as clear or as plentiful as one would like.

I recently had to get an extension on my F-6 visa (the relatively new visa for spouses of a Korean national), but wasn’t sure which documents I needed. There are several websites that do a good job of explaining what you need to get your F-6 visa in the first place, but I had difficulty finding information on extensions — even on “Hi, Korea!”. I suspected I wouldn’t need nearly as many documents this time around.

A Korean blog post by Global Life proved to be very helpful. And having just gone through the process myself, I can now share that information with you. I don’t have any unusual circumstances regarding my visa, so I expect the information below will apply to most people.

Suwon Immigration Office
Suwon Immigration Office

Required documents when getting an extension on your F-6 visa:

  • your Alien Registration Card
  • your passport
  • a completed application – (download – Word)
  • Recent (within 3 months) Proof of Resident Registration 주민등록표 for your spouse
  • a recent Marriage Relationship (status) Certificate 혼인관계 증명서
    • You can get a copy of this document at a local government office without your spouse being present, though you’ll have to fill out an application (등록부 등의 기록사항 등에 관한 증명신청서). See below.*
    • It can also be obtained online and printed at home. Visit the Korean Court of Law website.
  • 30,000-40,000 won
    • Fees have recently been increased. See the notice on “Hi Korea!” The notice states that extensions are now both 30,000 won and 40,000 won. I paid 30,000. Of course, unused revenue stamps can be returned to the counter for a refund.

Your F-6 visa will be valid for one year at a time until your second extension. Upon your second extension, your visa will become valid for two years.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

*등록부 등의 기록사항 등에 관한 증명신청서

등록부 등의 기록사항 등에 관한 증명신청서 - Form 11

8 Replies to “Getting an extension on your F-6 visa”

  1. My problem is my address is change, and name of me not my husband address because my husband out of country for working, immigration can give me a renewal f6? All requirements are ready but my problem is my house adress not my husband name its me.

    1. As I have no professional connection to Korea’s immigration service, all I can share is my own experience. If your registered address and that of your spouse do not match, I don’t think immigration is likely to process an extension. I would make resolving that issue a priority. Given the lateness of my reply (sorry), I imagine this case has been settled. But in case it helps anyone in a similar situation, it might be possible to delay the expiration date of your visa, allowing your spouse to return to the country. I would be happy for anyone else’s comments.

  2. A a good friend of mine got married with his Korean national wife. Unfortunately, she passed away and they have no kids. So my friend is left on his own but he manage to have a business and working on a small boutique as manager.

    My question is, my friend is due for visa renewal F-6, can he still renew his visa and ultimately be a Korean National Resident?

    Thank you in advance.

    1. Hi John, I apologize for the slow reply. I should point out to everyone that I don’t actually work for Korean immigration or any government service and, therefore, am not in a position to give definitive answers. My experience with immigration tells me, however, that in such extreme cases, they are likely to delay the expiration of a visa in order to expedite other paperwork matters such as the transfer of ownership of a business. If your friend has become the legal owner of the business you mentioned, an F-5 visa (as you’ve suggested) might be worth pursuing.

    1. If you’re asking if you can process the F6 extension at the immigration office without your spouse being present, I would say yes. I recall my spouse being with me only when applying for the original visa. I’ve gone by myself to get the extensions. I would, however, carry your spouse’s national identification card with you just in case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.